[Xmldatadumps-l] another month, another dump. ho hum :-P

Ariel T. Glenn ariel at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 8 07:22:34 UTC 2011

The September en wikipedia dumps are done.  Folks who use them, note
that this is the first run with the generation of a pile of smaller
files.  The naming scheme as you will have noticed has an additional
string: -p<first-page-id-contained>p<last-pageid-contained>  Expect the
specific groupings to change from one run to the next; it's time-based,
rather than based on the number of pages or revisions.

You may notice a gap of a few numbers between files; this would indicate
that those pages were deleted and not included in the dump at all.

Since there were no issues with the network, database servers, broken MW
deployments etc., the run finished without any need for restarts of a
particular step; this is probably the fastest we'll ever see it run, in
a little under 8 days.

Any issues, please let me know.  I expect people will need a script to
download these files easily; didn't someone on this list have a tool in
the works?

Ariel