[Xmldatadumps-l] Number of pages on Wikipedia

Chrisil J. Arackaparambil chrisil at lanl.gov
Tue Jun 29 00:06:07 UTC 2010

Hello everybody,

I was doing a bit of analysis of the dump
enwiki-20100130-pages-meta-history.xml.7z.  What I found to my surprise
is that there are (at least) 7 million pages in the main namespace.  I
got this figure by grepping for page titles that do not contain a ":"
character.  Is this really the case or am I missing something?  I'd seen
some Wikimedia stats that said the number of articles currently is about
3.2 million, so I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many pages in the dump.

Thank you,
Chrisil