[Wiktionary-l] Klingon Wiktionary closed

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 01:21:08 UTC 2007

On 04/04/07, Dmcdevit <dmcdevit at cox.net> wrote:
> Muke Tever wrote:
> > I agree with Oldak about "elitist concerns as to the origin of the language".
> >
> I apologize if my concern that the Wikimedia Foundation, the charitable
> organization we  volunteer for, be used for significant, educational
> purposes, as it is intended, appears elitist. That does not fit my
> definition of elitism, however, and bandying about the term is just an
> ad hominem distraction. This is the most important point. There is a
> reason that the MuppetWiki (a fine project, expanding rapidly) belongs
> on a non-WMF site like Wikia.

Huh? Since when does "education" preclude the Klingon language? How do
you define "significant"? How is the suggestion of elitism a
distriction? I consider it a problem for Wikimedia that should be
solved. When elitism results in the closure of harmless projects that
could potentially bring more people to Wikimedia (and maximise the use
of our content), it is a problem for the Foundation.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)