[Wiktionary-l] Using big categories

Gerard Meijssen gerardm at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 28 22:11:06 UTC 2004

Hoi,
Big categories were a big systems problem. In order to make this problem
manageable, the amount or articles that are shown at a time have been
limited to 200 at a time. This proved to be rather akward when you want
to find an article one starting with an character at the end of the
alphabet. MukeUTF-8 (nick on IRC) came up with a simple elegant
solution. He created some code to have a Table of Content (TOC) and hid
it in a template. The first implementation is in
http://la.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Lingua_Latina
<http://la.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Lingua_Latina> and uses
Template:Categorytoc This is a template for use from A to Z.

On the nl:wiktionary we have lower case characters so the code was
expanded in Sjabloon:CategorieTOC and it can be seen at work in
http://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/Categorie:Woorden_in_het_Nederlands
<http://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/Categorie:Woorden_in_het_Nederlands> I
have also implemented a Template:CategoryTOC (AZaz) in Commons and a
Template:CategoriaTOC
<http://it.wiktionary.org/wiki/Template:CategoriaTOC> in the Italian
wiktioanry.

My thanks go out to Muke, this is a great improvement on the usability
for categories :)

Thanks,
    GerardM
<http://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/Categorie:Woorden_in_het_Nederlands>