[WikiX-l] Wikipedia Day Forever

Neal McBurnett neal at mcburnett.org
Tue Jan 25 01:34:21 UTC 2011

From my perspective (low-overhead, successful event in the US) the
biggest hassle was my use of a wiki other than en.wikipedia for the
event page itself (which I put on ten.wikipedia - either because it
was suggested that I do so or because I didn't think very clearly when
I did - I forget).

But local folks didn't have an account on ten, didn't leave contact
info when they edited, didn't have their account preferences set up
nicely to edit, didn't have it integrated with their watchlist, didn't
know how to refer to pages on en, didn't check their user talk
notifications, etc.

I also fear that with inactivity, the ten site will get spammy, or
require extra overhead to fight it.

So next time I'd suggest overall organizing on meta (a useful site to
be on anyway), and suggesting that folks like me actually
put their event page on a local language wikipedia site if that makes
sense.  Places with multiple languages used by likely participants
might need a different solution.

Thanks again, folks!

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/