[WikiX-l] Contacting local wikipedians?

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Tue Jan 4 19:06:30 UTC 2011

On 4 Jan 2011, at 18:51, aude wrote:

> We can use the watchlist geonotice. They have worked well for the DC
> and NYC groups. I really don't think we cache watchlists since users
> need them up-to-date

The watchlist geonotice works using a javascript file, though, rather than being embedded directly in the watchlist page - e.g. the one on en.wp is at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Geonotice.js
That javascript file is cached for up to 31 days - so it's important to get notices up sooner rather than later. There can be a delay of a day or so before many people in the geographical areas even start seeing it.

Thanks,
Mike