[WikiX-l] Contacting local wikipedians?

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 4 18:46:50 UTC 2011

Hi Neal,

The best way to contact lots of local editors that I know of (other than
combing through categories like "Wikipedians in Colorado", which isn't
all-inclusive) is to use a watchlist geonotice.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Geonotice/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Geonotice.js

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 11:29 -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:

> I posted this at http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump
> but haven't gotten any replies there, so thought I'd try here.
>
> Contacting local wikipedians
>
> What are good and appropriate ways to contact local wikipedians? I
> guess the watchlist notice
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Watchlist-details#10th_anniversary)
> may be the best (that's how I learned about this). But I wonder what
> other options there are. A geographical watchlist seems possible:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Geonotice.js though caching may
> make that slow to take effect.
>
> Is there a way to automatically process user ids in relevant
> categories
> (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedians_in_Colorado)
> to find prolific active contributors so we can invite them on their
> user page? Are there bots suitable for this?
>
> Also, are there any good templates on en.wikipedia to use for
> advertising local events, or advice for making them?
>
> Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/

Steven Walling
Fellow at Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org