[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Joseph Wang joe at gnacademy.org
Sat May 5 01:57:07 UTC 2007

I have a non-profit GPL database of distance learning courses at
http://www.gnacademy.org/ and I'd really like to integrate that data with
wikiversity.  The Globewide Network Academy is the result of a previous
effort to start an online university and I think there are a lot of lessons
we learned in the 1990's that would be useful for wikiversity-l.

There are already a lot of places that already can grant degrees online.  Some
of them such as Charter Oak, Thomas Edison State College, and Excelsior
College give academic credit for prior learning and it wouldn't be difficult
to structure wikiversity learning experience that can get converted to
academic credit.  Combine accreditation from TESC with MIT open courseware
and social networks provided by wikiversity, and it seems pretty
straightforward to come up with an accreditted degree program.  Part of what
I've been doing is to try to create a degree plan for physics, but
unfortunately I haven't had time to contact anyone at TESC, Charter Oak, or
Excelsior.

The other thing that I'd like to see is a market place for tutors.  Right now
University of Phoenix hires adjunct faculty to work at extremely low pay,
with most of the money going to the university.  What I'd like to see is a
marketplace where teachers and students can interact directly, this would
allow people who now have to teach at University of Phoenix to deal directly
with students with some huge cost savings.

The idea that I'd like to present is one of an "academic ecosystem" in which
there are a lot of institutions each contributing one part to the academic
experience.

Joseph Wang Ph.D. - joe at gnacademy.org
China Derivatives Researcher and Software Developer - QuantLib
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/User:Roadrunner