[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Leigh Blackall leighblackall at gmail.com
Thu May 3 21:31:52 UTC 2007

I appreciate this rounding off Robert.

Over at Wikieducator - at their recent Tectonic Shift Think
Tank<http://www.wikieducator.org/Tectonic_shift_think_tank>,
there was talk about negotiating with multiple nations to see if they can
get training unit standards, curriculum documents, syllabus statements and
other standardised education structures to knowledge onto the platform. It
is already happening at the user level on both the Wikiversity and the
Wikieducator platforms with some
teachers<http://liveandletlearn.net/my-vision-for-learners-in-the-21st-century/>uploading
their particular syllabus, building references and learning
activities around it, and asking for internationals to
compare<http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Web_Design#Qualifications>their
national syllabus to it and build it further. The potential is that we
might see a networked teaching (and learning) relationship form in some
cases, where formal (and informal) teachers and students have an opportunity
for cross curricular exchange, even international recognition of their
course, and maybe even more streamlined migration opportunities. In other
words, a person who gains a web design diploma in Kenya, may also be
recognised in Australia by virtue of the relationship the
teachers/institutions have on the wiki platform, and so gaining work visas
and the like may become easier... etc

On 5/3/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:

> Teemu Leinonen wrote:
> > Ray et all,
> >
> > Ray Saintonge kirjoitti 2.5.2007 kello 20:17:
> >
> >> Why should Wikiversity be a servant of the employers?  If the
> >> employers
> >> want to maximize the value of their enterprise.  By providing such
> >> guarantees for employers Wikiversity would adopt the values of the
> >> employers, and become caught up in their partucular yuppie rat-race.
> >>

> > Exactly. This is why I pointed out what are the degrees really for
> > and about. With this I was trying to make it clear that they are not
> > very much according to the idea of "Free Learning Community",
> > academy, popular education or free school.
> >
> > Still, I do not mind if taking studies on Wikiversity will make some
> > people more competence in a labor market.
> >
> I would have to disagree with both points above, to a certain extent.
> The point of trying to appeal to the interests of "employers" is to
> provide an economically viable system for sustaining an effort like
> Wikiversity without having to resort to advertising or constantly having
> donation pledge drives.  While it is nice to live in a utopian society
> where we can do things just because there is some positive social value
> to accomplish a given task, there are hard economic realities to
> operating a site like Wikiversity that can't be ignored.  Things like
> network bandwidth, server equipment, and professional staff (aka via the
> WMF for all this) don't come cheap, even if we are sharing these costs
> with other WMF sister projects.
>
> There have been several WMF projects in the past which have used direct
> grants from various organizations (with for-profit companies as a
> possibility) to help pay for various sub-projects.  In educational
> environments, it isn't unknown to even make a legitimate business case
> to a for-profit corporation to provide educational experiences of some
> sort within an educational institution.  I think it would be reasonable
> to discuss under what sort of circumstances such a corporate sponsorship
> would be considered reasonable and what would otherwise be considered
> "selling out".
>
> Note that I'm not trying to suggest we should bend over backwards and
> structure all Wikiversity projects around a corporate model, but we
> shouldn't be dismissing these kind of opportunities out of hand either.
> It has always been a struggle to find some sort of self-sustaining
> economic model for content developers of free/open source content and
> software.  And frankly most people involved with the free content
> movement (free as in freedom as well as beer) do a very lousy job of
> thinking through the economics of the situation.  Regardless of even if
> there is nearly 100% voluntary contributions in terms of the actual
> content that is developed, you still have economic costs that must
> somehow be dealt with that are usually ignored completely.

> [...]

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
http://leighblackall.wikispaces.org/