[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 3 08:17:08 UTC 2007

Teemu Leinonen wrote:

>Ray Saintonge kirjoitti 2.5.2007 kello 20:17:
>

>>Even if it were to concede that as a good thing, who would accept the
>>responsibility of all the administrivia that it involves?  I doubt
>>that
>>it would be an enlightening use of volunteer time.  If we pay
>>someone to
>>do this the entire character of the project would change.
>>

>I do not see here any extra administrative work involved. You simply
>write the courses you have took in the Wikiversity in your user page
>with links to the course pages. You just build your own "Wikiversity
>study record" on your own user page. All based on trust and
>transparency. Shit will happen but I am pretty sure that the benefits
>of openness are greater than if having some "reliable record keeping
>body" working on this.

I'm glad to see that we don't disagree on more than this.  I think we
are a long way from the trust and transparency that you envision.  While
having a detailed and transparent record on the Wikiversity site fits in
with how wiki things are generally done, personnel departments are not
likely to want to go through the work of examining detailed course
work.  It's so much easier to have all one's questions answered by
glancing at a single page transcriot of school marks.  If it also has
the school's fancy official seal embossed on that paper, why would they
want to look further.  Bureaucrats bust trust other bureaucrats.

Ec