[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:35:09 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Teemu Leinonen <teemu.leinonen at uiah.fi> wrote:

> practice in the Wikiversity. It could be a simple list of Wikiversity
> course each user has took with links to the course pages and course
> work. This way people could use their "Wikiversity portfolio / CV"
> also when they are looking for a job. The employer / person hiring
> may then decide what value she gives for the "Wikiversity courses".

I really like the notion of "recognition" as something that is more
basic than a degree. I think that if the Wikiversity activities that
people take part in are recognised, not just within the community, but
*outside* it (ie in the working world) then we will have achieved
something really radical. It is education for all, and opportunities
for all. Funnily enough, even though this is a utopian vision, I still
this this is more practical than the idea of giving out free degrees.
:-)

Cormac