[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Michael Wehrle mwehrle at gmail.com
Wed May 2 02:38:16 UTC 2007

I appreciate all the various posts and attendant points of view heretofore
set forth in this list. Since I am the one who started the thread, allow me
to express and clarify where I am coming from.

No one would doubt the power of the Internet to disseminate information,
lots of it to lots of places around the world. I'm confident that I don't
have to convince anyone on this list of the intrinsic power of the Internet,
or if you prefer, the world-wide-web. Seeing as we have this great medium
through which information can be transmitted, shouldn't we harness this
great power to the betterment of the world at large? especially the 3rd
world, or those who would otherwise never have access to higher education?

Can the requirements of accreditation be met, while making it freely
(monetarily speaking) available to all who are motivated and willing to meet
the requirements? Is it fair to put a price-tag on degrees when society
stands to benefit from individuals securing them? Wouldn't the advantages of
"free" degrees far outweigh the disadvantages of offering free degrees?
Wouldn't the net result be a  worldwide increase in productivity and
entrepreneurship, etc.? Wouldn't it help alleviate poverty in the 3rd world
and elsewhere?

Since the world by and large doesn't seem to recognize learning for learning
sake, but only that learning that is done within the confines of "degree
seeking," isn't anything that would result in the obtaining of more degrees
by more of the worlds people be a good thing?

I guess I am just an advocate of leveling the playing field. In my Utopian
world there would be true equal-opportunity. And part and partial of that
would be free education for all, including higher education. Please tell me
am I lost in my own little Utopian dream world? Or do could my wishes have a
basis in reality as a result of this new technology we call the web?

--
Best,

Michael W.
mwehrle at gmail.com