[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Tue May 1 18:58:15 UTC 2007

Hi Robert,

On 5/1/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> Pedro Sanchez wrote:

> >> members as I am new to wikiversity. Are free online degrees through
> >> wikiversity in the works? And if not, why not? What is keeping them from
> >> being able to offer completely free online degrees?
> >>
> >> It's not really been too heavily discussed; however, at present time
> >> Wikiversity is simply way, way, way too immature for us to even consider
> >> becoming a degree-granting institution. Perhaps some day in the future, but
> >> by no means at this time.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Daniel Cannon (AmiDaniel)
> >>

> > wikiversity won't give degrees.
> >
> >  that was explicitly stated since its conception
> >
> > so no, not now, not on the future
> >

> I don't believe that was ever stated, although there were many opposed
> to the Wikiversity concept in the beginning because this could be seen
> as a diploma mill as opposed to a legitimate learning center.

I suppose Pedro was referring to the proposal which states
"Wikiversity is not: a degree or title granting institution"
<http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Wikiversity_project_proposal>

> And this is something that must be fought against even if some sort of
> arrangement to offer high school or college credits (or even "CEU"
> credits) is ever developed that would be recognized through some sort of
> legitimate accrediation body.  The standards needed to offer legitimate
> degrees are high enough that we shouldn't be deceiving anybody while
> Wikiversity is starting out that such degrees are going to be granted
> any time soon, if ever.
>
> I did come across a legitimate educational institution a while back that
> wanted to co-sponsor an on-line learning experience through Wikiversity,
> where this other organization would be offering the actual educational
> credits and accreditation.  I don't know how much follow-through
> happened on the idea, but it is something that has happened (they came
> to us, not the other way around BTW) and may happen in the future in
> other situations.

What institution was this? Where was it proposed/discussed?

> I would also have to say for myself that I would feel very uncomfortable
> before even educational credits of some sort are offered (even in a
> joint setting) without some sort of formal discussion happening about it
> not only on the Collequium, but also with the WMF board getting involved
> as well to formalize the arrangement.  And for the standards to be very
> clear about what would be needed by both the participants as well as
> those who are setting up the instruction.

Totally - what you set out here would be absolute minimum requirements
for such a venture.

> There is quite a bit we can do before we need to reach these much higher
> standards for much more informal learning experiences, such as is
> already happening on Wikiversity.  Even if a (very) long term goal is to
> eventually reach the ability to offer a degree program.  I would expect
> that it will take some time, meaning many years of effort, before we are
> going to even offer academic credits of any kind.
>
> -- Robert Horning

Yeah - keep the focus on the *learning*...

Cormac