[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Andreas awolf002 at earthlink.net
Tue May 1 18:50:34 UTC 2007

Michael Wehrle wrote:
> I just came across this list and wanted to pose a question to all list
> members as I am new to wikiversity. Are free online degrees through
> wikiversity in the works? And if not, why not? What is keeping them
> from being able to offer completely free online degrees?

  In my opinion, Wikiversity should never award degrees.

  The reason for this is based on the fact that a degree has its value
in being accepted by people outside of the degree giving institution.
This would mean that the basis of the degree needs to be under some sort
of control (or at least must be certified) by people outside of
Wikiversity. From this I conclude that the curriculum and learning
resources would *no longer be free*. (Free as in "liberty," not as in
"beer").
   In my mind this means we have choice: Either we must become a type of
Citizendium-versity, with "authorities" blessings the content and then
"we" can award degrees, or we should never try to put up "giving out
degrees" as a goal, in the first place. I definitely prefer the latter
option.

  Just my 2c.
     Andreas =:-)