[Wikiversity-l] free online degrees?

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:57:43 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Michael Wehrle <mwehrle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just came across this list and wanted to pose a question to all list
> members as I am new to wikiversity. Are free online degrees through
> wikiversity in the works? And if not, why not? What is keeping them from
> being able to offer completely free online degrees?

Hi Michael, and welcome to Wikiversity. :-)

As others have said, Wikiversity won't be giving out degrees in the
foreseeable future, if at all. However, some people in the community
have been advocating it does move in that direction - see the
following page, and links from it:
<http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Creation_of_Free_Online_University>.
For reference, you can always consult the original proposal:
<http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Wikiversity_project_proposal>
- but there are still many aspects of Wikiversity that need
significant discussion.

My own personal take on free online degrees is that it is completely
unrealistic to be expecting to do this self-sufficiently - however,
creating partnerships with accredited institutions that would grant
degrees (or some sort of credit) for work done in Wikiversity could be
a realistic option.

Cheers,

Cormac (User:Cormaggio)