[Wikiversity-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] I can get a Press Release in the Coll...

draicone at gmail.com draicone at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 12:02:42 UTC 2007

I would think that Wikiversity certainly ought to be hesitant before
effectively appointing such a representative. Ray's concerns are totally
grounded, if not paramount to the issue.

Wikiversity is not a commercial entity. We are not out to make money. We do
not need money. We rely on volunteer, unpaid donations of manpower to
function, and we function perfectly well on the manpower we have at present
(not to say that growth and expansion is out of the question, simply that it
is not as essential, as was implied by Brian's mood of optimising monetary
gain through what could possibly be misdirected initiative).

If Brian is this inclined to support the cause of Wikiversity, I should
think that he is perfectly free to contribute to core Wikiversity
initiatives. Once he has been involved in such tasks for a reasonable period
of time and is trusted by the community to represent WMF, we could certainly
consider a fundraiser dinner (although personally I feel it is outside of
the scope of WMF's fundraising, and could call into question WMF's 501(c)(3)
status).

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for WMF fundraising in general, but Brian has a
clear fascination with the collection of monetary resources that is simply
not in the interests of Wikiversity. To put it bluntly - do we want to
appear as an organisation obsessed with money? To reiterate Ray's concerns,
do we really want to be represented by someone out to gain funding from
"really really Rich people"?

I quote Brian: "[Wikiversity] needs content and Money". An emphasis on
"Money"? Sorry, not today.

--Draicone