[Wikiversity-l] KDE and Wikiversity (was "Introducing newcomers to the Wikiversity")

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 09:50:45 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, Michael R. Irwin <michael_irwin at verizon.net> wrote:
> Cormac Lawler wrote:
>

> >In my talks with the KDE developer people (who want to transfer and
> >develop their entire set of training materials in/to Wikiversity),
> >they suggested they might want to have some way of having a
> >differential level of login for people who were learning and others
> >who are helping others learn. However, I don't personally regard this
> >as "inevitable" - I think we need to discuss this to see if it is
> >desirable for what we're building.
> >

> I think it might be useful as long it is strictly under the control of
> the person logging in.    Hopefully this capability can be delivered by
> adequate labeling of click trails so one can get where one wants/needs
> to be by following the labeled links.
>
> regards,
> mirwin

That's a very useful comment, Michael. In fact, this is pretty much
what the KDE people want - to outline "paths" that the learner would
take to carry out specific tasks. They've painted it as a "structure
on top of a web" - the "web" being the whole network of pages on
relevant subjects (from core subjects to more peripheral ones), and
the "structure" being a network of paths that people could take to
learn various skills, whether it's supplemental course on basic skills
in C++ combined with advanced PhP, or a clearly outlined path of "this
is what you need to be able to do to become a KDE developer from
scratch", or whatever.

There are two issues here - how to technically code this course
structure capability - and whether or not it is desirable to have
people labelled "teachers" and/or "learners".

Cormac