[Wikiversity-l] (no subject)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Oct 2 21:14:44 UTC 2006

Cormac Lawler wrote:

>On 10/2/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
>

>>Actually, there is a "Spanish Wikiversity" community that is very active
>>in trying to get their edition of Wikiversity going, and even has built
>>a "Wikiversity prototype" similar to the Wikiversity pages that used to
>>exist on the English Wikibooks.
>>
>>I would strongly start with:
>> http://es.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversidad%3APortada
>>
>>It should be noted that they have already accumulated over 33 approval
>>votes and not a single vote of opposition.  See:
>>
>>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages#Spanish_Wikiversity
>>
>>(BTW, if you are a spanish speaker and want to support or even oppose
>>this idea, please add your vote to this page as appropriate)
>>
>>Frankly, I don't see exactly why it can't be started all other things
>>considered, as I think a Spanish edition would do quite well.  Still,
>>Wikiversity is going through a beta evaluation and it might not be quite
>>ready for a massive expansion into many additional languages yet.  The
>>33 votes does exceed by a large margin what the WMF board suggested as a
>>benchmark for establishing a new language edition of Wikiversity.
>>
>>--
>>Robert Scott Horning
>>

>With 33 support votes (presumably including ten people who are
>actively interested in working on it), the Spanish Wikiversity should
>absolutely be set up - the beta site is in no way intended to act as
>an impediment to new projects being set up, but rather acting as a
>point of multilingual coordination, and as an incubator for new
>proposed language Wikiversities. If there are ten people willing to
>work on any language Wikiversity, that language should very definitely
>be set up - by bugging the appropriate people (like Brion) to do so if
>necessary.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cormac

I've noticed that new versions of Wikipedias and other Wikimedia
projects tend to go in fits and starts, with usually a whole bunch
getting started at about the same time.  With Wikiversity being so new,
it might be overlooked.  So yes, raising the issue should happen as well
in other forums.

At the same time, I don't feel comfortable about bugging Brion through
other than official channels unless it is a real emergency (this doesn't
feel like one of those dire emergencies).  So what is the best way to
get this accomplished?  IRC?  e-mail to Brion?

Apparently just having the votes in a central place that is used to cast
the votes is insufficient to get anything to happen.

--
Robert Scott Horning