[Wikitext-l] Current visual editor/parser development snapshot

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 17 17:37:38 UTC 2011

Brion Vibber this week told me about what he, Neil, and Trevor are
working on regarding parser/visual editor, so here's a snapshot.  Please
correct it if it's inaccurate.

Brion focusing on the parser and visual editor, as well as MediaWiki
code review.  Brion, Trevor, and Neil are still working on the early parts!

Brion is doing preliminary test work with CodeEditor, and says
"ParserPlayground gadget will add more of that code soon".

Trevor's investigating the editing surface work and some early DOM tests.

Neil's on combining DOM transforms & planning for the editor
communication connection.

And Erik Moeller and I are grabbing some community folks, several of
whom are from Wikia, to coordinate contributions.  Inez Korczyński, for
example, is interested in contributing.  Maciej Brencz has just put up a
short description of how Wikia's editor internals work -
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Future/Wikia_Reverse_Parser  .

Right now we're strongly looking for parser test cases and Abstract
Syntax Trees.  Once we have a stabler base, maybe in August or
September, there'll be more opportunity to implement plugins and UI
extensions.  More info to come via this list and also live on
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Future  and its subpages.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator