[Wikitext-l] From Wikitech-l (Determining the behavior of apostrophes)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 05:42:52 UTC 2007

On 11/29/07, Mark Jaroski <mark at geekhive.net> wrote:
> I thought code was an extension-like preprocessor tag.

Afaik it's just a whitelisted HTML tag. It's treated that way by
setupAttributeWhitelist() and removeHTMLtags() in Sanitizer.php.

Interestingly, something (Tidy?) goes out of its way to support this
behaviour. This code:
---
foo<b>blah

blah
---
renders as:

----

----

So whereas an unclosed ''' is closed at the end of the paragraph (by
doAllQuotes()), an unclosed <b> is closed then explicitly re-opened in
the next paragraph (and then closed, re-opened etc).

I hadn't appreciated that difference between ''' and <b> before.

Steve