[Wikitext-l] How it could be...

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 01:04:00 UTC 2007

[This has nothing to do with the parser grammar I'm working on. This
is fantasy...]

Quite aside from the ambiguity of problems of apostrophes, the
difficulty of writing curved single quotes has been mentioned. Here's
how a totally different, unrelated wiki program could work:

//italics//
**bold**
' - straight apostrophe
'single quotes''
'''backwards single quotes'''

In other words, ' is rendered like the current apostrophe, and '' is a
curved apostrophe that leans either way depending on what text is
immediately adjacent. And for those cases where you want the quotes to
lean the *other* way, ''' just does the opposite of whatever '' does.

I wonder if there'd be the same problems:

* I said: '''''twas the last thing we needed!'' (seems reasonable?

The good news at least '' and ''' always render as exactly one
character, and no matter what you do in one part of a paragraph, it
would never affect anything else.

Of course, there's no easy way to write combinations of straight and
curved apostrophes, but that seems like a less likely situation than
apostrophes and bold or italics.

I guess an alternative could use the "backquote":

``Single quotes''
I said: ``''twas the last thing we needed'!''

Yay, unambiguous.

Steve