[Wikitext-l] Double-bracketed external links

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 03:19:08 UTC 2007

Here's a controversial proposal: allow external links to be wrapped in
double brackets: [[http://foo.com]].

Rationale: My grammar (and the existing parser, I believe) have to go
out of their way to detect these malformed external links, then
explicitly treat them as a normal external link wrapped in extra
brackets:

[<a href="http://foo.com">[1]</a>]

However, what the user almost certainly wanted was:

So this is a case of existing wikitext probably being written with a
different intention to how the parser is actually rendering it.

Since we have to explicitly detect this situation, wouldn't it make
more sense to render it how the user wants it while we're at it?

Steve
PS This is a somewhat idle query - compared to the amount of work
involved in rewriting the parser, this is a trivial change either way.
I'm just curious what kinds of improvements could be made that fit
within the "don't break existing wikitext"/"mimic what people are
expecting" guidelines.