[Wikitext-l] French apostrophe

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 15:44:09 UTC 2007

On 11/18/07, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
> Actually, the proper French apostrophe should be ' (Unicode : U2019,
> Code HTML : &rsquo;) not '
> On the French Wikisource, we systematically replace ' with ' in all
> articles and titles with bots (keeping redirects). So actually, '''
> should be ''' in proper French typography.

Ah, I wondered about that - the two articles I looked at both had that
weird apostrophe rather than the straight one.

So, so much for this special l''''idée''' case, eh? :) (Well, not
really, obviously other languages when speaking about French will
probably still want to use it, and there are probably other languages
in similar situations...)

> The issue is that ' is not in the standard French keyboard, and it does
> not exist in Latin1 (like œ for oe). There is also the problem with

I didn't know that. I actually use a hybrid French/Dvorak keyboard
that I invented myself, I guess it would be more authentic with the
correct apostrophe then...hmm.

Steve