[Wikitech-l] MediaWiki as a Wikimedia project

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 10 00:18:07 UTC 2007

On 1/7/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> When the Wikimedia Foundation wants to make MediaWiki an official project,
> it has the potential to make this change happen. With this change, the WMF
> however assumes responsibilities that it currently does not have. It
> currently does not take responsibility for the way Brion has too much on his
> plate to finish the many things he did not finish. It can at this moment
> selfishly urge Brion to do whatever because of WMF priorities.

Well, Brion has been the release manager for MediaWiki for years.
Since he's on the payroll of WMF, I don't think we're assuming any
_new_ responsibilities, but merely clarifying existing
responsibilities. And I definitely do agree that the WMF should do a
better job at soliciting and coordinating external contributions to
MW, but this, like many other things the WMF _should_ be doing, is
greatly limited by our ability to spend money on doing so.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik