[Wikitech-l] MediaWiki as a Wikimedia project

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 10:09:26 UTC 2007

Hoi,
When the Wikimedia Foundation wants to make MediaWiki an official project,
it has the potential to make this change happen. With this change, the WMF
however assumes responsibilities that it currently does not have. It
currently does not take responsibility for the way Brion has too much on his
plate to finish the many things he did not finish. It can at this moment
selfishly urge Brion to do whatever because of WMF priorities.

When the WMF takes responsibility for MediaWiki, it should take much more
notice of all the other organisations that use MediaWiki and have developed
their own changes to accommodate needs that the WMF does not feel for its
projects. Doing this will bring the power of all the people who also
developing MW, and it will bring the need for integration and support that
has not really been addressed up to now.

If this move is intended to bring more volunteer developers to MediaWiki I
am afraid that it is just window dressing. It will not make much of a
difference because people come and stay as they like. If you TRULY want more
developers, having someone dedicated to coaching the people who are new to
the MediaWiki code would make much more of a difference. Having someone
coach people who are doing projects and stuff in Universities would really
help.

Sure, MediaWiki is strategic to the Wikimedia Foundation. It is not only
strategic to the WMF. In order to take the role of "owning" the project, it
is important that the WMF considers how this new role gives responsibilities
and if the WMF wants to take up this burden.

Thanks,
    GerardM