[Wikisource-l] Scientia (babelian-wikisourcian interproject)

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 01:03:37 UTC 2011

Dear all,
I'm pleased to announce that the Italian Wikisource has started a
collaboration with AlmaDL, the digital library of University of Bologna (
http://amshistorica.cib.unibo.it).

The project, called Wikiproject Scientia (
http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Progetto:Scientia), aims to take on
Wikisource(s) around 40 issues of "Scientia", a scientific journals
published at the begginning of the century. The journal has been published
in 4 different languages, and includes (original) articles from scientists
from all around the world, as G. Peano, Enrico Fermi, Bertrand Russell, E.
Rutherford, H. Lorentz, Sigmund Freud, Henri Poincaré, Ernst Mach, Albert
Einstein, Werner Heisenberg;  Rudolf Carnap, Otto Neurath, and many, many
more.

The whole journal has been published here:
http://amshistorica.cib.unibo.it/6
http://amshistorica.cib.unibo.it/7
but we are still uploading the bundled djvus on Commons (and doing the OCR
with ABBYY).

We have completed and formatted one issue (
http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Indice:Rivista_di_Scienza_-_Vol._I.djvu), to
have a clue of the complexity of the work, and it is definetely complex.
You can take a look here:
http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Indice:Scientia_-_Vol._VII.djvu
http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Indice:Scientia_-_Vol._VIII.djvu
http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Indice:Scientia_-_Vol._IX.djvu
http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Indice:Scientia_-_Vol._X.djvu
The biggest challenge is to set up the transclusion of the articles in all
the Wikisources interested, because every issue contains articles in at
least 3 languages (sometimes 4: French is the most used language of the
journal).

So, this mail is to inform all the potential wikimedians interested in
participating, and helping us to set up books and indexes in the respective
wikisources.

Thank you,
Aubrey

NB: I work for AlmaDL, so I "persuaded" my boss to try releasing some djvus
and see what the community of Wikisource could do. This does not mean I am
a full time "Wikisourcian in residence", but I certanly use some of my work
time for this and I can definitely help with original scans, metadata and
even the OCR with ABBYY Finereader. I soon discovered that the project is
much more bigger than I expected, especially for the multilingual issue.