[Wikisource-l] Fwd: [Wikimediaau-l] Fwd: [Wikimediauk-l] Open Government Licence

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 10:21:23 UTC 2010

If this is correct, we can update:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Template:PD-UKGov

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:45 PM
Subject: [Wikimediaau-l] Fwd: [Wikimediauk-l] Open Government Licence
To: Wikimedia-au <wikimediaau-l at lists.wikimedia.org>

Forwarding to the Australia list - some great news from the UK!
Hopefully we can follow suit someday.
-Liam
Begin forwarded message:

From: Peter Coombe <thewub.wiki at googlemail.com>
Date: 30 September 2010 20:14:35 AEST
To: wikimediauk-l <wikimediauk-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: [Wikimediauk-l] Open Government Licence

This announcement seems to have slipped under the radar a bit, but
(assuming I'm reading it correctly) it's potentially very good news:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/498.htm

I'm no expert but it looks basically like a CC-BY license, with a few
additions to explicitly spell out moral rights. They're claiming it's
interoperable with CC, but I haven't seen anything from Creative
Commons themselves on the issue yet.

Here's more about where it will be applied:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/government-licensing/what-ogl-covers.htm
So it seems like it will apply at least to things previously under
Crown copyright and Crown database right by HMSO, with a few
exceptions. The exclusion for the other delegated bodies (last bullet)
is a major limit, but we can hope that they will follow HMSO's lead.

Pete / the wub