[Wikisource-l] Goals for Wikisource (was: Re: Partnership with the French National Library)

Alex Brollo alex.brollo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:10:13 UTC 2010

2010/7/21 Hélène Pedrosa-Masson <edhral at free.fr>

> Wikisource may aim towards being a repository of sources for
> Wikipedia. But IMHO it is not its only goal. In French Wikisource, we
> proofread some novels and short stories... and we would like them to
> be available in e-pub and pdf: now many people read on e-readers and
> we must be here to give them free texts to read. Don't you think so ?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Edhral

I too think  that wikisource should be  much more a "container for arts and
history" than a "container for  update knowledge", since most works are
ancient (a century or more); this is why - IMHO - my small field of
interest, which brought me into source world: equitation ("the *art* and
practice of riding"), that's much more an art than a science, is a rather
interesting topic, just as poems and literature, old chronicles and old
newspapers. This means too that users will be very few, just as are very few
the users of old or ancient books. Therefore source can be a useful "source"
for some particular topics only, from wikipedia point of view.

No matter: the whole server space devoided to wikisource is so small... the
whole unzipped  dump of it.source "good content" is more or less 250 Mby,
t.i. less than three full-size (100 Mby) Commons files. ;-)

Alex