[Wikisource-l] [Foundation-l] Wikisource and reCAPTCHA

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:25:00 UTC 2010

2010/7/16 Samuel J Klein <sj at wikimedia.org>

> Hello Aubrey,
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Aubrey <zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The issue of metadata is nontheless serious, because it's one of the most
> > important flaws of Wikisource: not applying standards (i.e Dublin Core)
> and not
> > having a proper tools for export/import and harvest metadata
>
> Both good points. Are there proposals on wikisource to address these
> two points in a way that's friendly to wikisource contributors?

I have draft ideas, and probably naive ones.
First one was to implement in a beta wiki SMW and download the dump of
it.source, to see how it is working.
My idea was to create a template with DC fields, so that the template can
accept metadata the old wiki way, and all the Semantics can be embedded in
the template itself.
Moreover, there could be a form like Commons has for file uploads: DC has
optional fields and also repetitive ones (you can have them as many as you
need).

This could be very important because some metadata needs to be properly
addressed. If you think about the field "Year", you don't know if it is the
year of creation or publishing, and there many other different
possibilities.
I don't want to import the complexity of MARC (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARC_standards) in Wikisource, just more
reliability and authority.

Moreover, I just don't get what the OAIrepository extension (implemented
everywhere) is doing.
I would like to understand better how it can be used.

In the Italian Wikisource we have developed complicated procedures to
harvest data via transclusion (the Labeled transclusion extension is
extremely powerful).
Unfortunately, with section stransclusion you *always* need to explicitly
write in wikitext the section tags (<section>), which "spoils" and
complicate the text for users. I believe the best way is to hide complexity
within software extension or templates, and maybe develop forms for guide
users.

Yes, PP is ahead of us in some ways.  But in other ways they have run
> into bottleneck and multilingual issues that a wiki environment can
> resolve.
>
> I believe that Prof. Greg Crane of the Perseus Project (cc:ed here) is
> interested in starting to collaborate with Wikisource, even while
> pursuing ideas about developing a larger framework for wiki-style
> annotations and editions.
>
> While it may be hard in the short term, in the long term that's what I
> think we all want wikisource to become.

Yep, I would *love* that (I read many articles from professor Crane for my
thesis, :-)
my focus was on Digital Humanities. Still, I reached this question in my
research:

Is it better to make the PP software (or other digital library systems as
DSpace, Fedora, Invenio among others)
"collaboratively editable" (wiki-style) or on the other hand make MediaWiki
more metadata complaint and providing tools for research?
My interviewees said the former, but I would like very much to prove them
wrong ;-)

Wow.  This is all great to hear -- can you include a link to the
> project?  I'd like to blog about it.

I believe WMItaly is working on a press  release, I will get you updated.

My best regards

Aubrey