[Wikisource-l] Dublin Core and TEI

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Jul 16 14:36:03 UTC 2010

On 07/16/2010 03:03 AM, John Vandenberg wrote:
> This is also a problem with Wikimedia Commons.
>
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Dublin_Core

It would take 5 minutes to implement the suggested support
for "Dublin core" metadata in the MediaWiki software. Why
is this in the 5 year strategic plan? Actually adding the
content of metadata to all pages could be a 5 year project,
but not the software support.

On my website, http://runeberg.org/ I have included
Dublin core metadata for more than a decade (see for
example http://runeberg.org/affdyaff/ ), but nobody
ever thanked me for this, and none of the pages were
included in Worldcat because of this. Visitors find the
website through Google full text search or by direct
links from Wikipedia and other sites, nobody reports
having discovered the site through the DC metadata.

I must be missing something. Why is DC metadata
so important? Could you give an example of a website
that does this and actually benefits from it?

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)

   Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/