[Wikisource-l] [Wikitech-l] Wikisource bugs

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Jul 3 14:18:11 UTC 2010

On 07/03/2010 03:41 PM, Michael Jörgens wrote:
> And I think most of our community is thinking the same way.  New
> projects are started with PR2, the number of projects startet with PR1
> (the js-solution we had before) extension is nearly to zero.  We are
> working on transfering older projects to PR2, even with the inherited
> problems mentioned above.

This is a little like saying that most members of the communist party
think that a communist one-party state is just fine, so let's keep it.
Such an absurd outcome, is the result of asking the wrong people.
There's a very good book "The innovator's dilemma" (1997) that
discusses this in detail.

The existing community is not the future growth of Wikisource. It's
not even a majority of the future community, but it is rather small.
Users who made >25 edits during May 2010 were 57 on fr.ws,
39 on de.ws, 15 on pl.ws, 11 on sv.ws, and 8 on ru.ws. So these
five languages, which we consider active and running, have a
total of 130 active users. This should need to be 1300 or 13,000.
Last year, sv.ws had only 3-4 active users in a month, so we have
more than doubled already during the spring of 2010.

That's why I want to ask what obstacles new users see, not what
the current community is comfortable with.

It's fine that you can chose between PR1 and PR2. This is also
why we should design "PR3", to give even more choice. And I want
that to be radically easier to use.

--
   Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)