[Wikisource-l] Back to the Scroll

thomasV1 at gmx.de thomasV1 at gmx.de
Sat Aug 14 19:00:15 UTC 2010

nice demo ; it would be nice to make it more efficient.

I see that you are generating images with a size that is adapted to the user's screen. If you do this, hundreds of thumbnails of all possible sizes will be generated at commons for each page. To avoid this, you should quantize the size : use a width that is a multiple of 100 pixels, as ProofreadPage does (Tim asked me to do this). In addition, if you use this restricted set of widths, then thumbnails will be more likely to already exist and will load faster.

To gain some speed, you could also preload pages p+1 and p-1, as google books does.

Also, in on_body_scroll, you could avoid the for loop : divide $('#body').position()['scrollTop'] by the height of an image

Thomas

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:15:47 +0100
> Von: Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>
> An: wikisource-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> Betreff: [Wikisource-l] Back to the Scroll

> Hi all,
>
> after some discussion on wikitech-l, I made a Google Books-like
> display demo for wikisource content. It should work on any multipage
> djvu or PDF. To link to it, you'll need:
> * The file name for the original (needs to be on commons)
> * The total number of pages (couldn't find a way to get that
> automatically anywhere...)
> * The page to start on
>
> Thus armed, you can construct a URL like this:
> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/book2scroll/index.html?file=Transactions_of_the_Geological_Society,_1st_series,_vol._1.djvu&pages=478&startpage=82
>
> The default parameter-less URL will fall back on the DNB vol. 11:
> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/book2scroll/index.html
>
> Note that this is HTML/CSS/JS only; no toolserver backend
> script/database is involved.
>
> Awaiting onslaught of critique,
> Magnus

GMX DSL SOMMER-SPECIAL: Surf & Phone Flat 16.000 fÌr nur 19,99 ¿/mtl.!*
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl