[Wikisource-l] Proofreading

Michael Jörgens joergens.mic at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:15:15 UTC 2009

@teak"A wake up call to the de.ws quality guru's: where would your
quality be without the proofread tool?"

At least at the same point or better. We have introduced the process prior
to the most ws's and we have been using a tool call profread before.
(Better because, we converted a lot of projects to pr2, we lost time needed
for that in the normal correcting porcess. We decided to do so and
we don't blame anyone on that used time. But you hopefully understand, that
you will get upset, when such converting actions are hampered
by single point decisions and sillies in design or coding of the tools)

This tool is still working as you can see in this porject.
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Die_Ursache_des_Einschlagens_vom_Blitze

Here a single page. you can use the button "Korrekturlesen", to see how it
works.
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Die_Ursache_des_Einschlagens_vom_Blitze:Seite_70

For convienence (index Pages for example or easier setup of an project, and
for coworking with other ws projekts, we accepted after some discussions
ThomasV extension which we normally call proofread 2. Most of the hampering
processes where introduced and detected after we decided to use this
extension. The first version was nearly without any curious restrictions.

But the way how to proofread
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Hilfe:Korrekturlesen , and the rules started
in august 2006 in written form as you can see here
http://de.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Hilfe:Korrekturlesen&action=history

after discussion and defining our goals.
- No text without scan,
- older projects without scans will be reworked with scans as soon as
possible

If you are keen in statistics
We have 154555 pages at de.ws  roundabout 100.000 in pr2 and  55000 in older
forms in both forms more than 60 % are at least corrected once  and 30%
proofread twice.
The percentages are equal distributed to both methods.

And we know where our quality is. Quality is a question of the attitude of
mind of the community. Only if I'm lacking a good community, then there is a
need for a Big-Brother setup.

Adressing  the without text question. There are two answer for that,
First, we are not used to do so, and normally we see no need for difference
between bookpages, This rule was introduced at a time we already had
accepted proofread 2 and we had a lot of discussion why we cannot set the
ready state.

Second, a lot of books have pages consisting of a picture and on ore two
lines  of text - simply giving a title to the picture. In our rule setup,
people are allowed, to put such pages immediate to the ready state.
For example
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Seite:Anfangsgr%C3%BCnde_der_Mathematik_I_A_001.jpg
or
http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Seite:Topographia_Alsatiae_%28Merian%29_012.jpg

And ''without text'', will most of the time interpreted as without usefull
contents.

Sincerly