[Wikisource-l] Changing the Main Page

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:12:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Syagrius <syagrius at gmx.fr> wrote:
> The recent mass bot addition on Portuguese Wikisource (whose "number of
> articles" overtook French and Chinese) should  make us think about changing
> the main page  system. There was a discussion there :
> http://wikisource.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Changing_the_main_page . Must we
> adopt the "page views" system, as Wikipedia did,
> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikisource/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthly.htm ?

Page views is based on the expectation that those views are *readers*,
and is appropriate for Wikipedia which has become part of typical
Internet usage the average person.

A large percentage of our page views will be *editors* and *bots*.

If we do go to page views, we might also want to weight the page views
based on average page size.

--
John Vandenberg