[Wikisource-l] [Commons-l] Digitisation equipment

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Aug 29 04:10:40 UTC 2009

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> For digitizing what?

Exactly, that's the first question.

> Archive.org digitizes books using a pair of canon 1Ds (? perhaps
> it was a 5D? In any case the 5DII would be sufficient now) on a
> custom stand with a hacked up copy of gphoto2 to actuate the
> cameras.

That's Brewster Kahle doing things many years ago (2002? 2003?).
Today, a much cheaper low-end digital SLR, or even compact cameras
will give you the needed 10 or so megapixels.  But again, if you
need to pay your staff, a ten times more expensive camera might
easily pay its own cost in increased speed, or increased shutter
lifespan.

> I'm not sure how they're dealing with curvature (I think they
> just may lay a glass plate on the pages), but it would be easy
> enough to solve using a laser pointer with a pattern generating
> holographic grating and a second exposure to capture the page
> distortion and some fairly simple software processing after the
> fact.

The Internet Archive apparently uses a fixed glass, and lowers the
book cradle to turn pages, http://aipengineering.com/scribe/

Other designs have a fixed book cradle and lifts the glass, e.g.
the Atiz DIY, http://diy.atiz.com/

I thought the Internet Archive design was very clever, since it
keeps a fixed distance from lens to book surface (beneath the
glass), until I saw the bkrpr.org where you just lift everything.
That's a design for 2009! I haven't tried to build one myself yet.

----

However, you can capture lots of books (that can be opened fully)
with a single camera, laying the book flat on a table with a glass
on top.  That's just like a flatbed scanner (but much faster)
turned upside down.

In January 2008, I used a 10 megapixel Canon EOS 400D (Digital
Rebel XTi) with a 50 mm lens to shoot this, laying flat on a table
under a glass, http://runeberg.org/stridfin/0226.html

On that webpage, the image is reduced to 120 dpi (1.2 megapixel),
but the original is 300 dpi (7.5 megapixel).  The map shown is
reused in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alavus

That's an example of how one specialized book can be very useful
for a limited Wikiproject. This book was published in 1909 for the
100th anniversary of the Finnish War (1808-1809), and digitized in
2008 for the 200th anniversary.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)

  Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/