[Wikisource-l] Newsweek article on the Wiki Bible project

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jun 16 19:13:57 UTC 2008

John Vandenberg wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> John Vandenberg wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.newsweek.com/id/141516
>>>
>> It would be nice if they had credited Wikisource for this instead of
>> Wikipedia.  The way the article stands, potential additional translators
>> won't be able to find it.
>>
> It gets worse ..
>
> The wikisource project is being confused with another wiki bible project:
>
> http://www.badthinking.com/2008/06/wiki-bible-project.html
>
> That project appears to be more concerned with Google Rank than anything else:
>
> http://thewikibible.pbwiki.com/The+Wiki+Bible+Project+News
>
> They do have translations of the Bible, including chapters which we do
> not have, but I couldnt quickly see what copyright status this work
> has.
>
> http://thewikibible.pbwiki.com/AllPages
> http://thewikibible.pbwiki.com/1+Corinthians+10
> http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_%28Free%29/1_Corinthians

They also use a different software that doesn't seem as advanced as ours.

Editing there depends on two basics.  The first seems routine enough for
good wiki behaviour.  The second depends on adopting a creed which
includes "We believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Old and
New Testaments and hold them to be the inherent Word of God." and "We
believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust."  Abandon
all hope of editing there unless you have first adopted the correct
prejudices. :-)

I really don't think they have given much thought to copyright, nor are
they keen to give credit.  All I could find at
http://pbwiki.com/content/privacypolicy was "PBwiki does not claim any
ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information,
images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you
upload, transmit or store in your pbwiki account."

Their wiki bible seems to have a relationship to pbwiki similar to that
held by Wikia's projects.

There are some other kinds of Bible translations out there.
lolcatbible.com is hilarious, and has already reached a high degree of
completion.  Compare their version of 1 Corinthians 10, or read their
version of the Lord's Prayer (which they call the Ceiling Cat Prayer)
linked from their sidebar.

We can continue to stress the importance of NPOV in our translations.
As long as we do that we shouldn't need to worry about these other sites.

Ec