[Wikisource-l] Subject linking in Wikisource (was: Advice on a custom extension)

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 14:09:48 UTC 2007

I think we are far away from having the subject
categories worked out at en.WS.  We are still slowly
working on populating the easy categories (like dates
and languages).  Basically categories in general need
to be populated with manposer we do not currently
have.  Subject categories need discussion and
decisions on how we are going to map those areas which
is harder to produce than the manpower to populate
easy categories.

More to your point about Wikisource encyclopedia
articles linking back to Wikipedia.  en.WS currently
uses a space called "notes" in the header of the page
to say something like "See the modern Wikipedia entry
at [[w:Ethiopia|Ethiopia]]".  Of course this is all in
the transcribed page than on the scanned page.  But I
would think the scanned pages are used primarily to
proofread the the transcribed pages and the
transcribed pages would be what readers are seeeing.
So I am not sure why the scanned page need links to
Wikipedia.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_New_Student%27s_Reference_Work/Abyssinia

Birgitte SB

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_New_Student%27s_Reference_Work/1-0016