[Wikiquote-l] [Fundraising Banner] I love Wikiquote, but there is no banner.

jeffq at computer.org jeffq at computer.org
Thu Oct 11 20:56:57 UTC 2007

On 11 October 2007, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could anyone create "I love Wikiquote" banner(s) and the blank
> ones as well as other sisters? Only Wikiquote and Wikispecies lack
> their own banners currently ... and it somehow helps to increase our
> beloved Wikiquote visibility not only its mother organization ...

I'd like to consider something more Wikiquote-specific if we could.
Commons has a button:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Commons-button-en.png

that has the text: "It's all about freedom / Support Wikimedia Commons".
Perhaps we could do something similar? Here's are two possibilities based
on quotes from a 19th-century collection:

"Quotation is the highest compliment / Support Wikiquote"
* Samuel Johnson; quoted in Edwards, Tryon, "The World's Laconics: Or, The
Best Thoughts of the Best Authors" (1853), p. 232: "Quotation is the
highest compliment you can pay to an author."

"A community of mind / Support Wikiquote"
* Unidentified (possibly Johnson); quoted in Edwards, "World's Laconics",
p. 232: "Quotation, sir, is a good thing; there is a community of mind in
it..."

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Jeff