[Wikiquote-l] board resolution

Manuel Menal mmenal at hurdfr.org
Thu Mar 29 16:04:37 UTC 2007

Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> About the board resolution and wikiquote.

> It says that now projects can't hold nonfree content unless they
> develop an exemption policy.

> Wikiquotes host mostly content under some sort of exemption (for
> instance, when quoting from TV series). Is the resolution meaning that
> all wikiquotes have to develop a specific EDP for TEXT ?

As far as I understand it, yes. And it's a good thing, in my opinion.

Quotations laws do not follow any international conventions - they are
exceptions to the international conventions on copyright, actually.
Thus, the local laws may have significant differences. Aphaia just
posted an interesting example about Japan. The French copyright law
allows short quotes, but has some interesting restrictions : the quotes
must have a source and has to be exact. There is also many documentation
on the maximum length of quotes (you have to take into account the size
of the source quoted *and* the size of the article where the quote is).

We should really try to seek compliance to our local laws whenever
possible. That's not always possible, though : there are probably
incompatible clauses in the French, Belgian, Swiss, Canadian and
Algerian laws (but they're all french-speaking countries, so fr: is
concerned with all of them).

As for fr:wq : we already have a sort of EDP, which is our « charte
»[0]. It states that the applicable law is US law, that quotes must be
added according to quotation rights and database rights, and, most
importantly, that all quotes must have a precise source (e.g. for books
: title, author, publisher, year and page number).

The main purpose of this EDP is to prevent people from taking quotes in
existing quote databases and adding them to Wikiquote - which is why the
French Wikiquote had to be closed and erased last year. But IMO
unsourced quotes (and quotes with vague sources) can cause many legal
problems: defamation, integrity of work and all sort of [[w:moral
rights]]. These should probably be considered for an EDP, as most
countries (including the US) are signatory to the Berne convention
(which includes moral rights).

Just my 2¢,

[0]: http://fr.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Charte (in French only...)

--