[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia education

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Sep 29 21:33:01 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> What you describe isn't necessarily a bad thing. Independent
> learning and research is a very important part of education. It
> all comes down to the details of how it is done.

Independent learning (when done right) can be useful and
important. But that's not how Wikipedia's name is being used here.
Those who like independent learning have their own names for it.

Those who call it "Wikipedia education" are the teachers,
politicians and newspaper editors who dislike it (or how the
method is being abused to reduce costs for teacher salaries). And
that's where their abuse of our name becomes our problem.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)