[Wikipedia-l] Wikisource

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 10:19:51 UTC 2008

Hoi,
There is a growing movement where people restore images and recordings and
make them part of both featured articles, sounds and pictures. They restore
pictures and fyi this involves a lot of work. This project that is centred
around the "Not the Wikipedia News"  people, is looking for material that
helps in making the effort not as USA centred. The best way forward is in
making the group of people involved bigger; this is done by reaching out to
other projects and sharing the expertise gained.

When museums make their material public, the public can become involved in
the restauration of the material. Key here is the license of the material
involved; the work is not done for free when this means that it cannot be
used / shared. Also the quality of the digitised material has to be really
good.

While I do expect that people will get involved, I do not see that an
integral job of such resources are to be expected. I think it great when the
cherries get picked.
Thanks,
      GerardM

So YES, a great idea.