[Wikipedia-l] Study on Interfaces to Improving Wikipedia Quality

J.L.W.S. The Special One hildanknight at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 03:59:54 UTC 2008

How would the system handle a paragraph full of high quality,
well-referenced and well-organised content contributed by an editor A, that
is thoroughly copyedited by an editor B? Would editor A be deemed less
trustworthy when his prose is thoroughly copyedited?

2008/11/25, Luca de Alfaro <luca at dealfaro.org>:

> Maury,
>
> perhaps I can help explain the behavior you saw in the UCSC system (I am
> one
> of the developers).
> New text is always somewhat orange, to signal to visitors that it has not
> yet been fully reviewed.
> The higher the reputation, the lighter the shade of orange, but orange it
> still is (I have no idea of how high was your computed reputation when you
> started writing that article).
>
> Text background becomes white when other people revise it without
> drastically changing it: this indicates consensus.
> In our more recent code version, we also have a "vote" button; using this,
> text can more speedily gain trust without need for many revisions to occur.
> In a live experiment, where people can click on the vote button, I presume
> the trust of the text would raise more rapidly.  Note that the code
> prevents
> double voting, or creating sock-puppet accounts to vote, etc etc.
>
> So I don't think based on what you say that the system is tripping over
> diffs.  It is simply considering new text less trusted, and more revised
> text more trusted, which is what we wanted.   It appears however we don't
> do
> a very good job on the web site describing the algorithm (I guess we put
> most of the description work in writing the papers... we will try to
> improve
> the web site).
>
> We don't measure "edit work" in number of edits, but in number of words
> changed.
> As you say, for our system, changing 1000 words in separate edits is the
> same (provided the edits are all kept, i.e., not reverted) as providing a
> single 1000-word contribution.   We thought of giving a larger prize to
> larger contributions: precisely, of making the reputation increment
> proportional to n^a, where n is the number of words, and a > 1.  This did
> not work well for the Wikipedia, because it ended up not rewarding enough
> the work of the many editors, who clean and polish the articles, thus
> making
> many small edits.  Technically it would be trivial to change the code to
> include such a non-linear reward scheme (to adopt rewards proportional to
> n^a rather than n); whether it is desirable, I have no idea.  It does not
> lead to better quantitative performance of the system, i.e., the resulting
> trust is not better at predicting future text deletions.
>

> Luca
>

> > The USCS system did work, but gave me odd results. Apparently I have a
> > very bad reputation, because when I look in the History at the first
> > versions, which I wrote in entirety, it colored it all yellow!
> >
> > Newer versions of the same articles had much more white, even though
> > huge portions of the text were still from the origial. This may be due
> > to diff problems -- I consider diff to be largely random in
> [...]

Written with passion,
J.L.W.S. The Special One