[Wikipedia-l] Useability

Cary Bass cbass at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 2 18:15:36 UTC 2008

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The menu on the left hand side lists, in this order
>
> Navigation
> 	Main Page
> 	Contents
> 	Featured content
> 	Current events
> 	Random article
> interaction
> 	About Wikipedia
> 	Community portal
> 	Recent changes
> 	Contact Wikipedia
> 	Donate to Wikipedia
> 	Help
> search
> 	search box
>
> ----------
>
> Problem: on small screens, the search box is not visible and readers
> must scroll each time they get to a new page to find it.
> Whether we are happy with this, or would prefer that people navigate
> three featured content or indexes or random article, does not change the
> fact that most poeple actually use search system on internet.
>
> What about changing the search box place ?
> Perhaps under the logo. Or below the Navigation block. Or fully at the
> top of the page ?
>
> Ant

Monobook is rather horrible on cellphones (at least on mine) which are
increasing dramatically in use.  I'm sure there must be a way to
redirect people who use these types of screens (stylesheet=mobile or
handheld or soem such) in order to allow for better accessibility.

--
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 415.839.6885
Fax: 415.882.0495