[Wikipedia-l] Proposed fork of Wikipedia

Maury Markowitz maury_markowitz at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:05:34 UTC 2008

> professional musicians. To be a skilled and successful > contributor to Wikipedia today requires significant training and > practice.

Oh yes, but I believe this can be greatly improved though technology.

For instance, I think that the entire REF and CITE tagging system is absolutely terrible, one of the worst bits of technology I have ever seen. Among its many problems, the body of the citation has to be inserted into the body of the article. This not only makes it very difficult to edit the article, but also means the actual "source code" of the reference doesn't appear where it does in the rendered article, making it hard to edit the citation too! And a single character mis-typed brings down the entire system, potentially mis-rendering the entire article.

I believe there are a large number of such issues that, if correctly, could reduce the barrier to entry tremendously.

Maury