[Wikipedia-l] Proposed fork of Wikipedia

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 04:29:00 UTC 2008

There are a lot of good ideas here (a community with much stronger
civility expectations?  bravo!).

I do object to this characterization though -

(English) Wikipedia is not intolerant of experts or hating of quality.
 Both are in fact widely found in the project, in limited scope areas.

en.wp is intolerant of experts who won't play ball with Wikipedia
community.  Some of those expectations on both sides are unfair or
unreasonable.  But the community building a project has to both
survive as a community, and as individual contributors with your
talents and capabilities and expertise.  Your proposal to openly state
and strongly enforce better civility expectations would be one such
mechanism - and would be seen as hostility or intolerance by experts
who have reached a point in their career and personal life where they
are abusive to colleagues at times.  We are not deferential without
being intolerant.  You seem to want to draw a different line there
(good idea) but not escape the underlying tension between the
community and some individuals.

Good luck...

-george