[Wikipedia-l] Non-notability "abuse"

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at internatif.org
Tue Sep 18 11:59:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 01:23:29AM -0700,
 Ronald Chmara <ron at Opus1.COM> wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

> > Xiaxue - Singapore's top blogger. Claims to notability:
>
> Does your encyclopedia list bloggers, too?
>
> > Chen Liping - one of Singapore's top actresses. Claims to notability:
>
> Does your encyclopedia list actresses, too?

I completely fail to see what's so magic in "encyclopedias" that they
must not list bloggers or actresses. Specially when they are not bound
by the limits of the paper.

I'm completely uninterested by Ms. Chen Liping or Mr. Xiaxue but the
fact they have an article does not change anything for the articles
which do interest me. So, they are not a problem.

Let's go back to the original issue: "non-notability" is used way too
much and it is strongly biased towards a particular country (nobody
suggested to delete [[en:Julia Stiles]] or [[en:Elizabeth
Mitchell]]). And there was never strong reasons given *why* useless
articles should be deleted. Because they take hard disk space?