[Wikipedia-l] botbit

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:53:13 UTC 2007

> So here a statement once more:
> * If I need permission to run my bot on your language, notify me of
> that. In particular if that need is created after my bot already has
> run there without problems for months or even years

I guess you can consider the block as notification. The block summary
should point to the appropriate place to request permission, if that's
the only notification you get, of course.

> * If you want my bot to have a botflag, I have no objections to that.
> If you want information or remarks from me, I'm happy to give them
> * If you want *me* to ask for a botflag, then also explain to me why
> *I* should ask *you* for something that *you* want

Try looking at it like this:

You want to run your bot at a certain speed. They require you to have
permission to run your bot at that speed. You've acknowledged that
it's fair to expect you to request permission to run your bot. If
their rules say they will only grant permission if you have a bot
flag, then requesting permission and requesting a bot flag become the
same thing, and something you need to do, not something they can do
for you.

Of course, if they want interwiki bots to run on their project, they
will need to make it possible for such requests to be made in English
(and preferably other major languages), for practical reasons.