[Wikipedia-l] Volapük Wikipedia is the 15th largest?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 22:27:12 UTC 2007

Machine translation = babelfish.

Babelfish is one little machine translator, one of the worst available.

And this neglects the use of machine translation in very closely
related languages, such as Catalan and Aranese or Danish and Bokmål
Norwegian, which, with human oversight, can often be very useful for
writing articles.

Mark

On 11/10/2007, User 32X <wikipedia at 32x.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sabine Cretella schrieb:
> > Francis Tyers schrieb:
> >> Machine translation has a useful, and under-used place to play in the
> >> development of smaller Wikipedias.
> >>
> > I completely agree to this statement :-)
>
> You overestimate the power of machine translation.
> I've just translated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbin
> with Babelfish into German, if I wouldn't already know
> what that article is about, I wouldn't have known it after
> reading the German "translation".
>
> Best regards,
> 32X

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.