[Wikipedia-l] Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:48:28 UTC 2007

   - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk
   -
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk%27s_personal_life#Birth_date

The birth date of the man on nearly all language edition of wikpedia is
wrong.

Atatürk's DOB (Date Of Birth) is recorded as Rumî calenders 1296 (per
various official documents from Ottoman era). The birth day and month isn't
recorded in any such official documents. Rumi 1296 is the equivalent of the
Gregorian time frame starting from 13 March 1880 to 12 March 1881. Several
historians have made conflicting claims of his DOB (discussed to length in
the linked article) but none of these claims have any common acceptance
behind them. Atatürk's identity card states his DOB as 1881 with no mention
of a day or month.

With his (Atatürk's) approval "19 May", the start of the Turkish
independence war, was attributed as the DOB of Atatürk. Official bio of
Atatürk states the DOB as '19 May 1881' and this is commonly accepted as the
adopted DOB of Atatürk.

This is particularly problematic because 19 May 1881 coincides with Rumî
1297 contradicting official documents from the Ottoman era.

I have mentioned this problem to pl.wikipedia and fr.wikipedia so far. I
corrected it on tr.wikipedia and en.wikipedia. So I am telling y'all now.
Hope you fix it.

   - White Cat