[Wikipedia-l] be: and be-x-old: interwiki

Jaska Zedlik sub at zedlik.com
Thu May 10 21:56:19 UTC 2007

Alexander Cajcyc wrote:

AC> Recently the Belarusian "Classical" [as it is called by its users]
AC> orthography got its ISO-code, that is be-tarask:

Not pure ISO-code, but if the subtag for the language variant was
registered, is it really so very difficult just to rename several
files to the final variant? This is also wanted by the users of this
orthography. You yourself can see the variant "be-x-old" don't look
nice, and another exists and this is the opinion of the users who want
to work in this Wikipedia. Please, just do this simple thing and these
people became happier.

Lars Aronsson wrote:

LA> I'm speaking from experience, when I recommend the
LA> "be-tarask" community to *consider* the option of leaving
LA> Wikipedia and setting up shop on their own server or on a hosting
LA> provider such as Wikia.  Note however: I'm not recommending you to
LA> leave, I'm recommending you to *consider* this option.  What would
LA> it mean for you?  It could mean more freedom, being able to do
LA> things your way, not being subject to the policies of the
LA> Foundation.  It would certainly mean isolation, as you would no
LA> longer be part of Wikipedia, the internationally renown free
LA> encyclopedia.  Would the freedom be worth this?  It's your choice.

The problem is why all these people should leave? Sure, the old
Belarusian Wikipedia can easily be shut down, but I hope the people
who assume now to do it will understand that this is the years of work
of hundered people. And till now they cannot even have a thougth that
their articles in some day will become "not acceptable". I can't see
now the ability to set up a new server like Wikipedia in Belarus. And
after this to start again from the very beginning.

LA> And ultimately: Would the chance to stay within Wikipedia be worth
LA> the sacrifice to cooperate with the community of speakers of
LA> official Belarusian?  Instead of hating their spelling?

Why do you think the users of the classical orthography hate the users
and the oficial orthography? After Yury's claims? But this is not
really so. If you want a real example, about 9 months ago, when the
separation began, the users of the old Belarusian Wikipedia was
against any separation and wanted to cooperate. Personally I use the
classical orthography, but I don't hate the official orthography at
all. It's existing doesn't offend me. And the majority of the
Betarusian classical orthography users have nearly the same opinion.
But the people who use the official orthography really *hate* the
classical one, and it offends them even by it's existing.

The situation changed a little after the old Belarusian Wikipedia was
moved to be-x-old. But this doesn't mean that all the users of the
classical orthography began to hate the official orthography. Of
course, not. The began to hate personally Mr. Tarasievich and other
four people who favoured the official orthography, wanted to separate
then, and now placed in jeopardy the word of hundered people during 3
years.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Jaska Zedlik